Today is a new start.
Escaping outside to our little garden for a few deep breaths to begin a whole new day, I see this little plant and realize it is truly an opportunity to have a new start.
Funny how a little Napa Cabbage can teach such a powerful lesson when we are paying attention.
As a side note: a really cool garden trick is to regrow food. It doubles your money which is helpful when buying organic! Also, it is fun for children and adults. There are many plants that fall into this regrow category; onion, celery, bok choy, napa cabbage, etc…
But let me share the encouragement this plant gave our family and me today. Life has some pretty hard moments mixed in with blessings and unexpected learnings. We all face this and no one is exempt. But how we handle and react to these moments is what defines us.
We have decided that in the midst of tears, anxiety, disbelief, disappointment, and frustration, there is an understanding and a growth that emerges. First, this experience gives life an adventurous spirit…and it provides a way to restart. We learn a better way to handle obstacles the next time.
But Wait There’s More
Just like this cabbage, sometimes a person has given all they have. It reminds me of a favorite book called The Giving Tree. Although it may seem that there is nothing left to give, there is. I speak from a very deep place of experience.
In fact, something more responsible and resourceful comes from adversity and the emerging hope generates a desire for a new start. Each child, each person, each one of us has so much potential.
Some reach their potential fast and others (like me) seem to hover in a state of anticipation longer to make sure we are really brave enough to step out to do what we are called to do. But when you’ve been all used up and you think that there is nothing left to give, a miracle happens.
Natures Powerful Speech
Just like the little Napa cabbage. Nature has a way of speaking. Remember, working with children requires simple truths. Typically we throw out this cabbage bottom as trash or vegetable stock or chicken feed. But with knowledge comes understanding and we knew there was potential to grow again. Likewise, even when we are down, cut off and used up, there is still more strength inside of us.
After working with several foster children, it is important that each of us fully grasps the power within us!
If we don’t grasp this, our power will be missed by the world and die with us.
When you provide authentic love and a positive nourishing environment, growth will happen.We must never give up! So here is a taste of how we live and encourage the 85+ kids we see weekly:
- Go to college when you’re older for a new start!
- Do what you Love
- Ask for help and learn to read when 15 years old and slipped through.
- Be honest, even when you are scared that no one will like the real you!
- Reach out and help someone when everyone else is just looking.
- Answer the door and invite in your neighbors when your house is messy.
- Try to make and eat food you have never liked, but know it is nourishing.
- Say NO to someone who is generally negative towards you.
- Be kind when others are full of anger and hate, then walk away with a smile
Just keep trying and moving forward despite the circumstances. It’s what we try to do every day. Our hope is to be contagious and create a movement. Create a movement to encourage health, happiness, fun, and responsibility.
Latest posts by Mandy (see all)
- Stop the Gas; Prepare Your Beans - November 28, 2017
- Donate to Heal You and Orphans; Real Food Recovery Cookbook - November 27, 2017
- Beer Talk; Is it healthy or just a bar drink? - October 17, 2017