Onion Soup Calms Our Family
When it’s been a crazy day and everyone is wound up, my “go-to” recipe is onion soup. Nothing works for everyone, but this is a great, easy recipe that works for our family.
When you have four children and a busy lifestyle (which pretty much sums up most of us!), it is the simple things in life that are helpful. However, being a parent and really caring about the food I put into my loved ones requires some thought.
Nutritional Therapy is in my bones, but getting the certification is certainly helpful for credibility. It is empowering to understand the value of your body. (Here is the link, if you are interested in taking the course!)
One day I was able to step back and see how everyone was wound up and I could get caught up in the banter. It is at this moment I realize talking about knowledge doesn’t help improve the “crazy” in my home. Knowing comfort food is a real thing; the mission is to find the easiest solution and put it into action to calm the crazy. Somehow we found that Onion Soup is one of our meals that helps to calm our family. Fortunately, this elixir soup is simple to make, but it’s not in my cookbook so I’ll add it here for you. Hope you enjoy this recipe too.
- (serves 4-6 people)
- 1 Tbsp fat (duck fat, tallow, coconut oil)
- 1 Tbsp seasoning of choice (curry or za'atar)
- 1 large sliced or chopped onion (red, vidalia, or yellow)
- 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 3 cups chicken/ beef stock
- 3 cups filtered water
- Turn stove burner on medium heat.
- Heat fat and sauté the seasoning for 30 seconds in the bottom of a 2 quart pot.
- Add onion and gently stir.
- When the onion is slightly transparent, add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Pour in the liquid (stock and water).
- Let the ingredients cook for 10 to 20 minutes for the flavors to congeal.
- Dip into mugs and enjoy!
Latest posts by Mandy (see all)
- Stop the Gas; Prepare Your Beans - November 28, 2017
- Donate to Heal You and Orphans; Real Food Recovery Cookbook - November 27, 2017
- Beer Talk; Is it healthy or just a bar drink? - October 17, 2017