Making Traditional Whey
For those who purchase powdered whey for the protein, and those who work out, there is a clear value established for consumption. Muscles form easier. But what about the rest of us? For the average person who doesn’t aspire to become Mr/Mrs Muscle Universe; whey is beneficial for you too! In fact, if possible, drop the powdered whey and just make it, the benefits are even greater.
Why Whey is Important to our Health:
- Easily digested
- Lots of amino acids
- Contains good bacteria
- Full of vitamins and minerals
- Boosts Immune
- A foundation to many recipes and preparations
- Resourceful way to sip away nausea
- Natural way to help eliminate dehydration/hangovers causing head tension
- Helps to build Muscles
The surprising factor is that Whey is really simple to make; rather procure. It literally takes less than 5 minutes of effort. So reconsider before you go out and buy that “nutritious” powder that may have been processed, heated and altered, you can make this and get every benefit with this food.
- 1 Quart of Yogurt (if you find raw yogurt from grass fed cows or goats, grab it because this will maximize the good bacteria.) Otherwise, (we use this)
- Tall Glass Bowl
- Lay a rag in the strainer and place on top of a tall glass bowl
- Pour, not plop!, the yogurt into the strainer
- Leave on the counter for 12 hours. (Cover the top with cellophane)
- Jar the whey and refrigerate
- Gather the yogurt cream cheese and put in a tub in the refrigerator.
Super simple, right?! This is why we make it frequently in our home. The benefits are too important to miss in our diet. Additionally, a bonus is the remaining solids are a wonderful yogurt cream cheese.
Truly simple to make. Plus, the benefits of avoiding additives and other harmful ingredients is a home run. Of course, the better the yogurt, the better the whey.
Remember the value of whey is in the live cultures that will populate your gut. Here’s another crazy way! Importantly, we keep it raw. If it is cooked above 118ºF, the beneficial elements are killed, so we keep it raw for health benefits. Page 18 and 36 in “Real Food Recovery” demonstrate some life-changing studies for autism and more.
Ideas to Incorporate Whey:
- Sip when head tension or nausea
- Put 1/3 cup into a shake
- Pour a bit into each person’s bowl of soup
- Incorporate in mayonnaise
- Add to salad dressing like this one
- Include in ketchup
- Use it to make a soda! See our favorite here
- Inoculate for sauerkraut recipes.
Ideas to Incorporate the yogurt cream cheese:
- Eat on a celery stick with salt
- Add honey and blend for a fruit dip
- Mix into salad dressing for creaminess
- Put into a shake
- Schmear on [gluten-free] toast
May you find health and happiness and continue a journey of real food recovery.
J Am Coll Nutr. 2013;32(2):122-35. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2013.793580. Whey protein supplementation during resistance training augments lean body mass. Volek JS1, Volk BM, Gómez AL
Latest posts by Mandy (see all)
- Riboflavins; Best Source is Organ Meat to Boost Immune - March 17, 2019
- Edible Liver and Onions - March 17, 2019
- Food, Foster Kids, and Flagitious Facts - January 14, 2019