Want a Yummy Egg Breakfast – with a twist?
Yes, I know, this egg breakfast is not the prettiest, but that’s not why I write and share recipes. My goal is to encourage you to cook fast, nourishing foods that look like something you can make. The more I’m in the kitchen, the more money we save and the healthier we eat.
When you grow up with a mom who could put anyone on the Food Network to shame, you adult as a mom who has a demanding palate. Eating the same foods bores me; plus absorption of more nutrients occurs with consumption of more variety in foods. Hence, the endless options with this “nesting” egg breakfast.
Most of my egg breakfast dishes have both duck and chicken eggs. When raw, you will notice that the “white” part or albumin in a duck egg is more white than the chicken albumin. This is indicative of a different protein. This translates into possible allergies to chicken eggs, but not duck eggs.
With this in mind, here are a couple of dishes to enjoy depending on your vegetable choice.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp ghee or butter (if not GFCF)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 Head of napa cabbage or 1 large onion chopped
- 4 - 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp salt (red, black, or pink)
- Turn burner on medium heat and place a large skillet on it.
- Spoon fats (oils) into a warming pan, add spice and stir.
- Add chopped vegetable (cabbage and/or onion)
- Place a lid until vegetables gently wilted. Stir.
- Creates holes or "nests" in which to cook the eggs.
- Add the eggs to the pan. Place the lid on top to cook the egg tops.
- Remove the lid and pour the coconut amigos across the pan and return lid.
- Let simmer until egg whites are cooked.
- Remove lid, add salt, and serve.
Hope you enjoy! We did.
Some may want to replace the Coconut Aminos with Tamari. The Coconut Aminos have a little more sweetness. Tamari is a more fermented soy option, since soy is known to cause hormone disruptions. 1 Therefore, we minimize soy and use the more fermented, gluten-free, Tamari. Either way this egg breakfast is simple and delicious.