Easy Potato Dish
One of the reasons I wrote Real Food Recovery cookbook, is because many people tell me it is not easy to cook or eat well. As a mom of 4+ kids, it took years to figure out how to spend less time in the kitchen and more with my kids and foster kids.
Somehow, throwing whole, real foods together was easy and delicious. Plus, my kids were eating healthier. This potato and avocado dish hits the spot and is undoubtedly one of our family favorites.
When we began to support more foster kids, we notice how their health would improve too. So I did what wassuccessful, and created a product to help support more foster kids – authored a cookbook with all these simple, real food recipes. This dish is included in our cookbook because it is; fast, filling, delicious, and healthy.
The creaminess of avocados pairs beautifully with the starchiness of potatoes. Adding coconut oil, ghee (our favorite!), schmaltz (our favorite), or red palm oil gives variety to the flavor so you can cook this over and over with a different fat choice each time. Plus, it provides healthy additional nutritious fats for our bodies to thrive. *source below
- 4 potatoes (white, red) unpeeled and cut into wedges
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (optional)
- 1/3 cup of oil (coconut, ghee, red palm, schmaltz)
- Salt and Pepper to tast
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Place the oil in bits all around the baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 - 45 minutes or until done as oven times vary.
- Add avocados and bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Hope you enjoy this easy yet delicious dish for your family for years to come.
Studies of Dietary Fat and Heart Disease. Ravnskov U, Allen C, Atrens D, et al. Studies of dietary fat and heart disease. Science. 2002;295(5559):1464–1466. doi:10.1126/science.295.5559.1464c
- Easy Turkey Bacon and Egg Breakfast - May 7, 2023
- No Sunburn Watermelon Shake - June 11, 2022
- Foster Care is Not What You Think - January 9, 2021
2 thoughts on “It is Easy to Eat Well; Potatoes and Avocado”
Looked at, and loved, all the dishes you have on Facebook!
Thanks for sharing!